Internship programs at Thanal are designed to offer exposure to students and working professionals from varied academic and professional backgrounds. The design of an internship depends on both the interest and skill areas of the interns as well as requirements of Daya Rehabilitation Trust. This is an intensive engagement, and no stipend is offered.
The interns get a chance to explore, know and contribute in important mainstream work of the organization ranging from awareness creation, house-to-house survey, rehabilitation services for the intellectually disabled children, field exposures and documentation, capacity building workshops and training programmes, organising events like health camps, video documentation, preparation of low cost teaching aids, preparation of awareness material, creative movement activities and much more.
I. Our Internship experience will:
- Provide a platform to put into practice and deepen theoretical knowledge of issues in the field of intellectual disability and other rare disabilities.
- Provide interns an opportunity to learn the operational aspects of disability services and rehabilitation.
- Provide exposure to understand and analyse the challenges faced by intellectually disabled in their daily lives in areas of life skill updations and rehabilitation.
- Provide opportunities to explore and operationalize their own innovative ideas in awareness creation and sensitization on disability and rehabilitation issues.
II. Activities Under Internship Program
The Activities for Interns during this period will be as follows:
- Participation in planning and research related activities at elementary level for exposure to the initiatives/programs/ therapies offered by the centre for both the beneficiaries and their family.
- Developing vision and mission for betterment of current services offered by the centre, with a specific focus on speech and language therapy (in specific health conditions are also welcomed)etc.
- Compilation/ collation of data/information on various current plan /actions /initiatives /interventions /programs/ schemes/ under school and child development centres.
- Identify and document ‘good practices’ observed in implementation of current programs
- Visit to field projects.
- To provide inputs for policy formulation/scheme implementation through empirical research work with the CDC and school to supplement the process of policy formulation, implementation of schemes and other initiatives related to community/family and children with Autism, Cerebral Palsy, Neurological Developmental Delays and other rare diseases with a special focus on developmental paediatrician, child psychologist, speech-language pathologist, occupational therapist, special educators and other specialist.
- Participation in offline/online Seminars/Workshops/Events or interaction at any such platforms that functions of CDC and Special Schools may find relevant for intern students/scholars for exposure in the field of gender issues and children.
- Child development basics in identification, screening and development issues and the social responsibility of rehabilitation of the children and their families.
- Research on the specific conditions like neurological developmental delays, rare disabilities, autism and cerebral palsy.
- Research on positive parenting tips and the social responsibilities
- Identifying the policy gaps in provisions and policies for the holistic rehabilitation and integration of these groups to mainstream society.
- Clinical Internship Seminar: Teaching Students with Disabilities or Teaching Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
- Internship calls for Thanal Early Intervention Centres (EIC)
Entry point Activities:
Services offered evaluation and scope of:
- Screening of children from birth-18 years for Disability and Developmental delays
- Early Identification of selected Health conditions
- Holistic Assessment
- Psycho-social Interventions
- Assistive technology devices and services – equipment and services that are used to improve or maintain the abilities of a child to participate in such activities as Hearing,Seeing (Vision), Moving, Communication and learning to compensate with a specific biological limitation.
- Special Education services for: School age groups from six to sixteen, Pre- Vocational training for age 16-18 years and Vocational training for the age of 18
- Aids and Appliances:
- Rehabilitation of the differently abled child above 6 years of age at the Rehabilitation centres in that state.
- Family support services esp. for children having Autism, Cerebral palsy, Mental retardation, multiple disabilities and rare disabilities.
- family-centred approach, recognizing the importance of working in partnership with the family.
- Progress throughout the therappy period, targets- functional, developmental,academic, achievements and the assessments. For school transfer certificate
- Concern certificate
- Two way Parental and Family feedback
III. Eligibility for Internship:
Long- Term (06 month) Internship, is open for young students who are either pursuing or have recently passed out graduation/post graduation courses in subjects like Development Studies, Sociology, Social work, Humanity, Psychology, Statistics, Rural Development, etc and can spare 06 Months time to undergo Long Term Internship Programme on regular basis in this Ministry. Besides, students from reputed universities are eligible to apply and would be considered under this Internship Programme.
IV. Selection of Interns:
Selection of Interns would be made purely on academic merit and interviews.
V. Furnishing of undertaking/declaration
(a) Selected interns would declare that they understand that the offer of internship by the Child Development Centre and Special Schools of Thanal is not an offer of any job or any commitment of any future job, hence the offer of internship would not be used as a claim for that matter.
(b) Furnishing a declaration of maintaining secrecy of documents they are to be exposed or to deal with during internship programme before joining the internship.
(c) Undertaking giving right to the Child Development Centre and Special Schools of Thanal cancel the Internship for nonperformance during Internship period as may be deemed/observed by the Research Council.
VI. Incentives for Internship:
- Interns will be awarded a certificate on successful completion of his /her internship after submission/presentation of papers/reports on the assigned work.
- Interns would be provided necessary logistics such as sitting arrangement, internet facility and stationery items etc.
VII. Termination of Internship(s) and resolution of disputes:
Child Development Centre and Special Schools of Thanal would have the right to appraise/review performance of interns and enforce timely completion of various assignments. In view of the scheme offering Long Term research and related activities for about six months or so, it would be desired from the Interns to complete their project timely and satisfactorily. In case of non-compliance of assigned responsibility of the required project(s) and unsatisfactory work, the CDC and School would have the right to terminate the interns under the circumstances that necessitate such action.
VIII. How to Apply
Interested students/scholars may apply by following emails.
(EIC) – email@example.com
Super Speciality Earliest Intervention Centre (SEIC) – firstname.lastname@example.org
Child Development Centre (CDC) – email@example.com
Special Schools – firstname.lastname@example.org
email@example.com Operational Head Of Child development centre Nibin Das.
Paraplegia Centre Neuro Rehabilitation Centre – firstname.lastname@example.org Sajeer Theekuni Operational Head of Neuro Rehabilitation.
IX. Who Can Apply?
Qualifications: Masters in Social workers specialised in children and family, rehabilitation , health and mental work; P.G Diploma in Clinical child development (PGDCC), PG Diploma Adolescents Paediatric (PGDAP), PG Diploma in Child, Adolescent and Family Counselling (PGD CAFC), PG Diploma in Development Neurology (PGD DN), PG Diploma in Health Science Research (PGD HSR), M.A/Msc in Public Health, M.A/Msc in Rehabilitation Science, Child Psychologists, Rehabilitation Psychologists and Human Ecology Department. Therapists: Speech, Occupational, Development, Physio and Early Interventionist development therapist.
also those who possess research aptitude in the above mentioned fields.